While we should be striving to protect the environment everyday, Earth Day is a wonderful reminder to always to our best to take care of nature. If you’re looking to get into the Earth Day spirit, there are plenty of activities taking place all week long!
• Volunteer – Devils Lake is close to The Dells and offers a stunning drive! On Earth Day, April 22nd, they’re looking for volunteers to help remove Garlic Mustard from the state park. They recommend you wear gloves and clothes that can get dirty. It’s a wonderful and easy way to do something good for nature this Earth Day.
• Celebrate – Sauk County will be hosting an Earth Day event on Sunday, April 27th with the theme: “For the Birds”. The event aims to teach people about the environment in a fun and interactive way, not to mention its free and family friendly. Taking place at UW-Baraboo, there will be over 50 booths and displays put on by area organizations and businesses. Kids will love “Creation Corner” where they can build objects out of natural materials, decorate Earth Day cupcakes, pet live animals, dance to live music, take pictures with Smokey the Bear, win prizes, and more! There will be events taking place all week long as well such as an outdoor movie and invasive species removal.
• Spa – Yes, spa. Believe it or not, you can help the environment by choosing to relax at spas where they use all eco-friendly products and serve eco-friendly food such as Sundara in Wisconsin Dells. During Earth Week, overnight guests get their chose of one of the three following activities for free: ziplining, bike rental, or a one-day pass to Devils Lake State Park. Their seaweed treatments will be $20 off Earth Week because the seaweed they use in organic and harvested only from non-polluted waters and then recycled as compost for their garden. The sand used in the Sundara Sandstone Body Polish was discovered at the spa’s excavation site and recycled for this treatment rather than wasted so this treatment will be 20% off. If you’re looking for a gift or something special for yourself, purchase a Yellow Leaf Hammock for 15% off. These hammocks are hand made by weavers in Thailand and gives them the income to support their families without having to work in toxic farming or deforestation jobs, as well as helping them to continue their heritage.
• Movie Day – Disney Nature will make a donation to national parks from all ticket sales made during Earth Week. Take the family to go see the adorable film “Bears” for an educational and inspiring movie that will also help preserve the beauty of our national parks.
• Recycle – This is an easy way to help the environment year round! Pay attention to the trash bins at your Wisconsin Dells resort as many of them have special bins for recyclables so you can help the environment while on vacation!
If you’re vacationing to The Dells this Earth Week, be sure to participate in one, or all of these activities to give back to the environment in an easy and fun way!