“Yoga, the word means ‘join;’ a mental and physical combination to improve body strength and flexibility. It helps prevent injuries, release stress and energize.” That is the class description on the Dells Dance Center’s website. But owner Andrea Henry has been practicing the art of yoga long before it was a cultural phenomenon.
Since 2004, the Dells Dance Center has been teaching dance, yoga and zumba classes for healthy minds and bodies. “Enhancing lives through dance education,” is the studios mantra and that is exactly what Ms. Henry has done. Prior to her opening the studio, Wisconsin Dells residents had to drive 20-30 minutes for any dance or yoga classes.
Dance classes can give kids a fun way to exercise and stay healthy. They also provide an outlet for their energy, which can improve focus in school, boosting overall grades. Stressed out? Take one of her yoga classes, which not only relaxes the mind but stregthens and tones the body as well. Find inner peace just in time to combat the pressure of the holiadays. Here are Ms. Henry’s top five reasons to practice yoga:
- Stress Relief: Yoga reduces the physical effects of stress on the body, by encouraging relaxation; yoga helps to lower the level of the stress hormone cortical. Related benefits include lowering blood pressure and heart rate, digestion, and boosting the immune system.
- Flexibility: Yoga helps to improve flexibility and mobility, increasing range of movement and reducing aches and pains, Many people can’t touch their toes during their first yoga class. Gradually they begin to use the correct muscles.
- Weight management: Yoga can aid weight control efforts by reducing the cortical levels as well as by burning excess calories and reducing stress. Yoga also encourages healthy eating habits and provides a heightened sense of well-being and self esteem.
- Cardiovascular Conditioning: Even gentle yoga practices can provide cardiovascular benefits by lowering resting heart rate, increasing endurance and improving oxygen uptake during exercise.
- Inner Peace: The meditative aspects of yoga help many to reach deeper, more spiritual and more satisfying place in their lives. Many who begin to practice for other reasons have reported this to be the key reason that yoga has become an essential part of their lives.
The fall session begins September 17th and ends December 3rd. Yoga classes are offered Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings from 9-10:30. For the full class schedule you can head to the Dells Dance Center website: dellsdancecenter.com
The Wave explores Dells Dace Center in this video
Just visiting the area? No problem! The Dells Dance Center welcomes walk-ins to all yoga classes, so stop in for some added relaxation during your vacation. Namaste.