2013 was another exciting year in The Dells! Out with the old and in with the new, for 2013 was the year of grand openings as a ton of new attractions and restaurants were established this past year. The continued success of the area’s favorite festivals was definitely something to cheer about as well as the start of some new fabulous events. Overall it was a jam-packed year and we’re sure 2014 will be just as exciting!
Flying axes, melt-in-your-mouth mac n’ cheese, oodles of noodles, loop-de-loops, savory steaks, a taste of Texas and so much more occurred in 2013 as new attractions and restaurants came to The Dells.
- Alamo – Western ambiance meets sizzling steaks and cool drinks for a taste of southern living at The Alamo Smokehouse. Opened in March, this Tex-Mex restaurant has some of the best burgers in town!
- Dells Distillery – Known for their tater-tot casseroles, Dells Distillery’s delicious food and unique atmosphere makes it a family favorite! Stay for the fun filled bar scene and try their very own distilled vodka, whiskey, brandy and rum.
- MACS – Who wouldn’t love tasty twists on a classic favorite? MACS serves unforgettable mac n’ cheese variations, melts and desserts. Try their mac n’ cheese of the week, yum! Tip: they deliver.
- Paul Bunyan’s Northwood’s Lumberjack Show – A family friendly hour long show, this unique masterpiece is sure to grasp the attention of even the youngest of audience members. World champion athletes come to the Dells to compete, many of which have been featured on ESPN’s coverage of the sport of Lumberjacking.
- Hades 360 – The area’s most thrilling coaster just got even crazier! Not only did Hades break the record for the worlds longest underground roller coaster, it’s also the first wooden upside down coaster featuring a 360-degree loop and 110-degree turn. Can you handle a trip to hell and back?
- Noodles & Company – Amongst the favorite of American chain restaurants, Noodles & Company finally makes its way to The Dells! Ideal for a quick lunch or even a dinner out with friends, enjoy noodle dishes from around the world as well as delicious side salads, pizzas and sandwiches.
- Milio’s Sandwiches – Delivered to your door, or snag a booth inside, either way you are sure to love your made to order sub from Milios! Pair it with one of their homemade soups or crispy bag of chips for a complete and tasty meal.
- Liquor Central – Hosting a party or looking for your favorite bottle of alcohol? From top shelf liquors to a wide variety of wines and champagnes, Liquor Central has it all!
- Two Scoops – Conveniently located nearby the area’s largest waterpark resorts, Two Scoops features a Caribbean theme for the perfect backdrop to that savory ice cream cone the summer heat makes you crave. Part of Marley’s, grab a scoop of one of their 24 flavors after your meal or make it a sundae with all your favorite toppings!
- Double Cut – At Double Cut, Wisconsin Dells’ newest restaurant, you will enjoy all the finesse of a big city steakhouse as you sip a one-of-a-kind cocktail and order off the well-rounded and unbelievably tasty menu. Prime cuts of meat, fresh seafood, complimenting sides, and delectable desserts come together for a phenomenal dining experience.
The Dells continued to host their annual festivals such as: Winter Carnival, Automotion, Taste of The Dells, Wo-Zha-Wa, American Cancer Society Benefit at Marley’s, Autumn Harvest Festival, Chili Cook-off, Pinktini and Holiday Train. All of which were huge successes once again filled with smiling faces, amazing photo opportunities and memories made.
New on the festival scene this year was The Downtown Wisconsin Dells Wine Walk and The Fire and Ice Ball. Nineteen tasting locations each with their choice of red and white wine made the first annual Downtown Wisconsin Dells Wine Walk a wine lovers dream! Most locations also offered special sales on merchandise, games and activities for the chance to win prizes, and live music.
Hosted by Marley’s on Friday, December 13th, the first annual Fire and Ice Ball help raised funds for Kops for Kids. Fire blazed on multiple flat screen TV’s, the tables glittered with icy table cloths, and the two elements collided together in the red and silver tinsel that adorned the pillars and railings surrounding the dance floor for a stunning evening of dancing and fun!
A few other changes occurred in The Dells this year. It’s hard to miss the new flaming color of Club Wett! Previously white, the exterior and street sign were painted red for The Holidays. Anyone who spent time on Lake Delton this summer might have noticed a strange object flying out of the water. No, it’s not a new type of fish, it’s Tommy Barlett’s newest act: the flyboard! A sort of “water jetpack”, the flyboard propels through air and water with the help of a wave runner. Definitely a site to see! Surfing Safari opened at Noah’s Ark for visitors to try their hand at surfing and last but not least, The Cheese factory closed its doors only to re-open a couple months later due to popular demand. Now a vegan restaurant, this is a healthy stop the family is sure to love!
Overall it was an incredible year full of tasty and thrilling new experiences in Wisconsin Dells. We can’t wait to see what 2014 will bring!